the project ember scholarship fund
Project Ember is committed to increasing access to our summer day and overnight camps through full and partial scholarships. Our scholarship fund is comprised of internally allocated resources as well as community donated gifts. We believe that project-based education promotes curiosity, creativity, collaboration as well as self-reliance, and empathy - skills that pave the way for a life of pride and fulfillment, no matter one's personal definition of success. We are striving to build a robust and safe program within reach for all interested kids, while maintaining our commitment to competitively compensate a staff of talented professionals.
applying for financial assistance:
New Process in 2018: If camp is outside your means, you are welcome to apply for financial assistance. An initial round of scholarships will be awarded by March 15th, 2018. After that point, we will continue administering scholarships as we are able and as we secure additional funding.
If it is your first time using our registration system:
- Please create an account in UltraCamp. Once you have added the primary adult, please also add your children, each as separate individuals on the account.
- Click "Make a Reservation" to get to the scholarship application page. You can navigate here either by clicking on the "Reservations" menu at the top of the page or by using the shortcut listed under "Common Tools" on the account page.
- Select the child you are applying for a scholarship for from the account members list. You will need to submit a separate application for each child in need of a scholarship.
- Our scholarship application is the first option on the session selection page. Please mark the box and click register at the bottom of the page.
- You will be asked to confirm details on the account and fill in some brief questions about your need. On this page, you will be able to indicate which session(s) of day or overnight camp you would like to attend as well as the price you would prefer to pay for the session.
- Lastly, you'll be asked to sign our waiver, which will be transferred over to your registration should we be able to award the requested scholarship.
- You're all done! Your application will be processed free of charge.
If you are a returning family: Please follow the directions above starting at step 2. Please note, the process has changed from last year. You only need to fill out the free scholarship application. and we will follow up to finalize your registration by March 15th. Please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions about the process.
Contributing to the fund:
We are determined to grow the fund to reach our goal of providing scholarship assistance to 30% of our campers in our second year. In our first year, we exceeded our goal of providing $12,000 of financial assistance and distributed over $13,000 worth of scholarships to 23% of our campers. If you would like to help us reach our fundraising 2017 goal of $20,000+ and provide hands-on project based education opportunities to families in need, you can make a contribution through our GoFundMe campaign. The UltraCamp Foundation has generously offered to sponsor our fundraising efforts so that our community can make a tax-deductible donation in 2017. All funds raised on our behalf for the UltraCamp Foundation will be directed to families applying for scholarships at Project Ember.
Apprentice - $10-$100
We all start somewhere! Any size gift allows us to build up to full and partial scholarships.
Journeyperson - $275
You're honing your craft. This gifts allows us to offer one half-scholarship.
Artisan - $535
You've completed your training! Send one kid to camp with a full-ride scholarship.
Grandmaster - $1685
The student becomes the teacher. This generous gift provides three kids with full-ride scholarships to day camp or one child with a full-ride scholarship to overnight camp.
Guild Member - $2500
You're invested in the future of your craft. This far-reaching gift provides one child with a full scholarship to overnight, one child with a full scholarship to day camp, and another child with a partial scholarship to day camp as the finishing touch.
If you prefer, you can also mail a check made payable to The UltraCamp Foundation* to:
930 57th Street
Oakland, CA 94608
*We will aggregate and tally all donations to send to UltraCamp monthly.
thank you to all our contributors
★ Thao Le ★
Be the first!
★ Tara Dhillon ★
★ Lilly + Steve Weissinger ★
★ Ed Marsh ★
Stephanie K Lau-Chen
★mentors of note★
In addition to contributing to our scholarship fund, we'd like to recognize members of our community who have gone above and beyond in helping bring Project Ember to life. These individuals have supported this program in ways that are not measured, be it with their wisdom, their trust or their time. We can't say it enough - thank you!